International Joke Day. Sounds like fun and a good excuse to do another round of entertaining tweets. I’m usually not a good joke teller – I start laughing before I get to the punch line. So hopefully, tweeting the joke will work better. Or maybe not. Let me know if I made you laugh.
- Wikipedia says: A joke is something spoken, written, or done with humorous intention. What if its not humorous? Does humorous mean funny?
- How many synonyms can you come up with for “joke”? Wisecrack, quip, jest, witticism, prank, gag, anecdote, yarn, I’ve run out of letters!
- First “recognized” joke: a 1900 BC Sumer “fart” joke; according to research by Dr Paul McDonald of the University of Wolverhampton. Really?
- Did you know jokes have a purpose? To entertain, teach a life lesson, offer criticism through satire, show cleverness, relieve anxiousness
- I am a lawyer, People love lawyer jokes. It started with Shakespeare. He wrote “kill all the lawyers.” I’m afraid he wasn’t joking. 🙁
- You are stranded on a desert island w Hitler, Attila, & a lawyer. You have a gun w only 2 bullets, what do you do? A: Shoot the lawyer 2x.
- Question: What’s the problem with lawyer jokes? Answer: Lawyer’s don’t think they’re funny, and no one else thinks they’re jokes. True?!
- Kokopelli, humpbacked flute player, the Hopi god of fertility, replenishment, music, dance, & mischief. Storyteller for the past 3000 yrs
- Is a fool a jokester? Can we celebrate April Fool’s Day today too? Why not? The 100 top hoaxes. Are they humorous? Hmm http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/aprilfool/
- There are many collections of jokes on the web. Just Google “joke.” Do you have a favorite? Share it and see how many laughs you get back.
Doing a bit of research it was interesting to notice the cultural differences of what one society considers funny or not. Don’t forget you need to be careful here – this can be treacherous territory if you run into someone without a sense of humor, or you go too far. Can you remember a joke gone bad?
But putting that aside, share a joke. And if you have any lawyer jokes – pass the, on. I’m sure I’ve heard them all, but you never know. Clean fun though – non-offensive.